School of Health & Life Sciences
Lecturer in Biological Sciences (AC2)
AC2 £38,592- £46,047 per Annum
Full time, Permanent
Lecturer in Zoology/Conservation Biology
The School of Health and Life Sciences is one of the largest integrated schools combining health and life science programmes. Our graduates make an immense contribution to improving the health and wellbeing of communities and ecosystems across the globe.
You will join a dedicated team who strive to continuously inspire our students and wider University community – and, through modern teaching and impactful research, continue to deliver innovative solutions to some of the world’s biggest challenges.
The successful candidate should have the following:
- A doctorate in Zoology/Biology or a closely related discipline (essential).
- A postgraduate qualification in education/teaching and learning and/or HEA fellowship (desirable).
- Teaching experience in Zoology/Biology and a willingness to teach into topics such as Biodiversity, Conservation, Ecology.
- Evidence of an understanding of modern teaching technologies.
- A commitment to delivering high quality teaching and to supporting an outstanding student experience.
- A commitment to research-led teaching.
- Evidence of appropriate research achievement as indicated by published work or other research outputs.
- Potential to attract funding through competitive research grants.
- Potential for research supervision (especially Ph.D. students).
- An ability and willingness to work with colleagues on collaborative research projects.
- Potential to develop links and to work with professional bodies or other external organisations.
Prior to submitting an application, you may make an informal inquiry to:
Dr Richard Thacker or Professor Katherine Sloman, Biological Sciences and Health Division
The University of the West of Scotland is one of Scotland’s largest and most dynamic modern universities. Our reach across the country, together with our London campus, means that UWS is a significant force in global knowledge creation, innovation, and a leading provider of undergraduate, postgraduate and research degree education. Our degrees provide students with a transformational experience; equipping them with highly sought-after graduate skills that set them up for global success in world-leading sectors, industries and businesses.
With cutting-edge courses, modern pedagogy and practical knowledge, we enable our students and staff to experience the joy of learning, teaching, research and innovation, and apply their knowledge for the benefit of others.
The School of Health & Life Sciences at UWS offers innovative teaching and research opportunities, firmly focused on the real-world challenges facing the healthcare and life sciences sectors. You will join a supportive and committed team, where you will play a key role in continuing to establish the University as a force for good. Our students benefit from studying in modern learning facilities – among the very best in the country – and the strong links we have with partner organizations across the private, public and third sectors. Find out more about our School of Health & Life Sciences.
We offer our staff a caring and supportive environment, across five campuses, and a competitive benefits package which includes:
- 35 days of annual leave, plus a further 12 days for public/university holidays
- 23% employer’s pension contribution, including death in service benefits on joining the pension scheme
- A flexible approach to working pattern and work-life balance
- Employee discount scheme across 3,500 retailers
- Fitness facilities across our campuses
- Access to a range of health and wellbeing resources, including occupational health, physiotherapy and access to our Employee Assistance Program
- Professional, career and research development opportunities.
Closing Date: 2nd November 2022
Interview Date: 16th November 2022
UWS is committed to equality and diversity and welcomes applications from underrepresented groups.
UWS is a “Disability Confident” employer.
University of the West of Scotland is a registered Scottish charity, no. SC002520.