Job Title: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computational Biology/Data Analytics
reporting to: Prof Brian Kirby, Deputy Dean, SUDA-RCSI Int. College of Pharmaceutical Innovation
Location: RCSI Dublin – While the primary location for this role will be in Dublin, the appointee will spend up to 16 weeks per academic year at Soochow University.
School (or department): School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences
Objective of this post:
RCSI is seeking applications, as part of an exciting collaboration between RCSI and Soochow University in China, for a full-time, permanent Senior Lecturer role with the School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences. This is an academic post with the appointee joining a growing team of academics within the School who will deliver the portfolio of programs to students in both RCSI Dublin and Soochow University.
While the primary location for this role will be in Dublin, the appointee will spend up to 16 weeks per academic year at Soochow University. Founded in 1900, Soochow University (“SU”) is a research intensive university ranked in the top 5% of Chinese universities with a strong strategic focus on increasing its internationalization and its rankings.
Soochow University is located in the city of Suzhou in Jiangsu province, located a short train journey away from Shanghai. Jiangsu is a densely populated (80 million) and industrialized region neighboring Shanghai. It is considered the most developed of the 22 provinces in China with the bio/pharmaceutical industry a major source of employment in the region.
The objective of the post is to lead and contribute to the design, development, delivery and quality assurance of the School’s educational programs at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels in our International College of Pharmaceutical Innovation in the area of computational biology/data analytics. The appointees may also do some teaching in their area in Dublin. A key aspect of the role will be contributing to ensuring academic quality and consistency across the RCSI and Soochow University campuses.
The structure of this role will provide the appointee with ample opportunity to also develop their own research activities which will be largely based in Ireland.
- PhD degree or equivalent in relevant discipline
- Enthusiasm for your specialist teaching area and the ability to engage your students to successfully transfer this passion and learning
- Strong teaching interest and skill set, as evidenced by experience of, a proven track record in, and enthusiasm for undergraduate teaching and assessment in the general areas of computational biology, statistics, software development, data analytics, next generation sequence analysis, and artificial intelligence • Is experienced in scripting in the Linux environment
- Have expertise in multiple programming languages such as Python and Java
- Has experience with Bioconductor and R statistical environment
- Has a strong understanding of parametric/non-parametric statistics and regression analysis
- Is experienced working with next generation sequencing data
- Has an understanding of artificial intelligence and machine learning methods
- Internationally competitive research record, as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications in journals of high quality/impact and grant support
Full job description: www.rcsi.com/careers